Saturday, February 6, 2010

This blog is a place to refer to regarding conky and lua setups that I have been working on.

Here is an alternative version of my flower conky. Read my blog post here.




Here is a conky setup, inspired by the Conky of the Month competition on the Conky Blog here. I'm not sure about the pink heart... Plus I "cheated" a little as I am actually using a desktop computer with a wired internet connection. That is why the "BATTERY" and "CONNECTION" flowers seem to be non functional ("SWAP" really is 0% which is why that flower doesn't show anything). The code however works just fine when run on a setup that has such things. I just needed 6 conky outputs for the 6 flowers, since I only have the one processor and the one filesystem partition :)


This conky was created almost exclusively through a lua script and it is by far the most complicated script i have written to date. I am particularly pleased with the circle writing function I came up with. Here is the lua script.
In the conky rc you need this.
I set up the clock face in the conkyrc.

This isn't my first attempt at a valentines conky :)
This one has an animated border of hearts. But after I finished the border I wasn't sure what to do with the middle... which ended up going all "goth" on me!

You can see the details here.

The next thing I need to learn about Lua is how to get multiple graphics from a single instance of a function through the use of a settings table. I think I'm most of the way there in understanding how this is done, but I haven't tried it yet.

I would also like to direct your attention to the crunchbanglinux forum.
It was through crunchbang that I first started using conky and you can see, through the conky config thread, how I have developed my ideas and knowledge. You can go to the crunchbanglinux website here and the conky config thread here.

My first conky post is on page 25 here.

And I have the honor of having one of my conky setups on conky hardcore here. :)

And here and here is a short tutorial I have written on getting started with Lua. This tutorial goes through how I wrote my first Lua cairo script for this conky.

Another Lua cairo conky I made is here. And produces this conky. I have annotated the Lua script for this conky here.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to thank you for the site. Lots of great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your welcome!
    I'm just glad that someone is finding it useful :)

    ReplyDelete